RECIPE BY ALEXANDRA PASKA OF@PLANTBASED.TRAVELER
Pineapple Fried Rice 🍍 - super delicious and comes together in under 15 minutes.
- 1 ripe pineapple (or 1 cup chopped pineapple in juice)
- 7 oz (200 g) of extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 cups of cooked rice (ideally prepared the previous day)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 scallion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- Veggies of choice (I used 1/2 cup chopped broccoli, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 small carrot, and 1/4 cup corn, edamame, and peas each)
- Dash of turmeric for color
- Pinch of Kala Namak (for the ‘eggy’ flavor)
- Finely slice scallion (separate white and green part), mince garlic, and grate ginger.
- Prepare vegetables, (I prefer to dice them into quite small pieces) and the pineapple. To make pineapple bowls , simply slice it in half, cut out the tough center piece (you can use that for smoothies), and cut and scoop out most of the pineapple to create a bowl. Keep about 1 cup of the chopped pineapple (and its juice) for the fried rice, and refrigerate the rest.
- Heat up coconut oil in a wok, and once hot, fry white parts of the scallion, ginger, and garlic for 30 seconds, then add crumbled tofu. (I just use my hands to crumble it directly into the wok).
- Stir-fry for a few minutes, and if using add turmeric and kala namak salt.
- Add chopped vegetables and saute a few more minutes, before adding rice, pineapple and pineapple juice, coconut aminos, and sambal oelek.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until evenly heated through, top with scallion greens, and serve it in your pineapple bowl. Enjoy!
Alex is a certified personal trainer and health coach from Germany, currently based in New Jersey, USA. A love for food and travel inspired her to share easy and delicious vegan recipes to
encourage people from around the world to eat more plant-based food.