RECIPE BY ALINA FROM @PLANTBASEDALINA
Hearty and meaty plant-based ragu that is so flavourful in each bite. It's a comforting pasta dish that is loved by many. It is made primarily with nuts and mushrooms for the meaty texture.
- 1/2 cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup dried mixed mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups of warm water (or you can use 8-10 button mushrooms, finely diced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp dried italian herbs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 16 oz tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- chopped basil
- 4 servings of pasta of choice
- In a blender or food processor, pulse together the pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and ground flax until it resembles a course meal.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil, chopped onion, celery, and carrot.
- Sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Finely dice the soaked mushrooms and add to skillet.
- Add in the garlic and ground pumpkin seed walnut flax meal. Sauté for a few minutes until toasted.
- Add in the red wine and 1/4 cup of mushroom water. Cook until reduced.
- Add in the tomato paste, tomato purée, salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
- Let simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Prepare your pasta of choice. I love @tolerantfoods lentil spaghetti.
- Once the pasta is cooked and the sauce has finished cooking, strain the noodles and combine with the sauce.
- Top with fresh basil and parsley.
- Serve in your favourite Coconut Bowls and enjoy!
Alina | @plantbasedalina | www.plantbasedalina.com | Plant Based Alina (YouTube)
My name is Alina and I am a plant-based food and lifestyle content developer and photographer based in New York City. I am certified in Plant-Based Nutrition by the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies with a degree in Psychobiology from UCLA. Additionally, I hold a master's degree in biochemistry & molecular biology, but my passion lies in inspiring individuals to live mindfully through a holistic plant-based lifestyle.
Lots of love, always! xo