RECIPE BY ASHLEY FROM @PEACHCUPBOARDKITCHEN
Creamy and savoury mac and cheese just got even better! Did you know that you only need to add a few veggies in to make your vegan mac and cheese creamier? Thanks to pumpkin (or if you prefer, butternut squash) for lending a creamy and silky texture to this irresistible pasta sauce.
- MAC & CHEESE
- 500g macaroni/elbow pasta
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 japanese or kent pumpkin, skins removed (you can also use butternut squash)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- smoked paprika
- nutritional yeast
- toasted pepitas
- Peel and chop pumpkin and carrot. Boil them until soft and cooked through. Drain water and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. For the final two minutes of cooking, add the broccoli florets. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, place pumpkin, carrot, red onion, cashews, garlic, tomato paste, misopaste, onion powder, nutritional yeast, leon juice and a dash of salt. Blend or process untill smooth, creamy and lump-free. If mixture is too thick, add a few tablespoons of pasta water to thin it out to your desired consistency. Be sure not to put too much pasta water. We like the sauce to be thick enough to coat the cooked pasta.
- Pour sauce over the cooked pasta and broccoli. Stir and cook on low-medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid them to stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve in your favourite Coconut Bowls and top with paprika, nutritional yeast and pepitas. Enjoy!
Ashley has a passion for photography, travel and adventure. Check out Ashley through the links below to know more about her, her stories, her travels and her creativity.