RECIPE BY TAISHA OF @youeatlikearabbit
TOFU + BROCCOLI w/ a sweet and savory sauce! Perfect with some rice.
Tofu and Broccoli
- Sesame oil
- 1 pack firm/extra firm tofu
- 1/2 leek OR a whole bundle of green onions, finely chopped
- 2 broccolini bunches or 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water, combined separate from rest of ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 2 t ginger powder (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp reduced sodium tamari
- 1/4 t red chili flakes
- 1 t rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water/stock
HOW TO MAKE
- Cook rice as instructed on packaging.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain tofu for 15 minutes. Cut drained tofu into thin slabs and lay on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way. You can also air fry.
- To a skillet on medium heat add 1 T sesame oil. Sauté ~8 green onions or 1/2 leek with garlic until soft and fragrant. Add in broccolini, I chopped the base into smaller bite sized pieces and left the florets bigger.
- Cover to steam until bright green and tender. Transfer to a plate. You will add your sauce to this empty pan next.
- In a measuring cup, combine your cornstarch and water, stir to combine. In the same measuring cup, add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce, whisk to combine. To the pan that the broccolini was in, add the sauce. Bring to a low simmer whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Cut your baked tofu into small strips and add the tofu into the pan with the sauce + the broccolini mixture. Tossing to combine. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can always thin with water.
- Serve with rice and sesame seeds. More chili flakes for a kick!
Find more of Taisha's recipes on @youeatlikearabbit