RECIPE BY HEALTHY LITTLE VITTLES
It's cheesy, it's a textural delight, with tons of different flavours - this grilled cheese is an unusual one but is a must-try. It's savoury but slightly sweet, the smashed blackberries goes well with pesto and cheese.
- gluten-free bread
- vegan mozarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup avocado/olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon packed mint leaves
- salt to taste
- SMASHED BLACKBERRIES
- 6 ounces blackberries, smashed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch salt
- First, make the pesto. Blend all pesto ingredients together in your food processor/blender and set aside.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Next, place the washed blackberries, maple syrup, and salt into a bowl and smash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Place the vegan mozzarella cheese on a greased/oiled skillet to allow it to slightly melt.
- Butter 1 side of the bread then place onto the skillet, on top of the cheese. Allow the cheese to melt for another couple of minutes and then using a spatula, scoop under the melted cheese and flip the cheese and bread over to grill the bread.
- Add a spoonful of pesto on top of the cheese and then add a spoonful of smashed blackberries on top of the pesto. Top with another slice of bread with the outside of the bread buttered.
- When the underside of each sandwich is golden brown, gently flip the sandwich and grill the other side until golden. Enjoy immediately.
GINA FONTANA | @healthylitttlevittles | www.healthylittlevittles
Gina Fontana, is the recipe developer, photographer, and certified health coach behind the popular blog Healthy Little Vittles, where she shares delicious plant-based, vegan, gluten-free recipes. In 2013, after a lifelong search for answers to her unexplained health ailments, Gina was diagnosed with thyroid disease. Switching to a gluten-free, plant-based diet transformed her life, prompting Gina to share her journey with others. Through her story, recipes and creative photography, Gina’s mission is to inspire people to pursue a healthier lifestyle. She is the published author of the books Moon Milk and The Beginner's Guide to Gluten-Free Vegan Baking. She lives in Columbus, OH with her husband, 5 year old son, 3 year old daughter, and two fur babies.